The proctoring of examinations is a service offered by the Helen Hall Library. The library will offer proctoring services based on the availability of personnel, facilities, and the technology to do so.
Students who are Helen Hall library card holders in good standing are eligible for this service.
There is a flat fee of $5 for each exam proctored, payable just prior to taking the exam. The library accepts exact cash and personal checks.
All full-time Adult Services professional staff members are able to proctor exams, as allowed by their work schedule. Tests must be scheduled with the proctor a minimum of seven days in advance. Tests will be scheduled during the proctor’s regular work hours. Tests must be completed fifteen minutes before the library closes.
Guidelines include the following:
- Helen Hall Library will not be responsible for any delayed tests, nor for any completed tests once they leave the library’s possession and have been mailed back to the educational institution.
- If the proctor falls ill or is absent on the day the exam is schedule, the exam must be rescheduled.Again, the student should allow sufficient time to accommodate such eventualities.
- In determining “sufficient time” the student will keep in my mind the possibility of technical difficulties at the library and allow for postponement should such occur.
- Librarians cannot proctor exams that students bring in themselves.
- Librarians will not sign a proctoring verification that attests to more than the staff member has been able to do.
- Proctors will enforce any time limits that are placed on the exam, as well as other rules set forth in the examination materials.
- Proctors will not monitor a student continuously during an exam, but may check on the student periodically.
- Tests offered in a computer format must be compatible with the hardware and software available on the Library workstations.
- The Library does not guarantee that a quiet study room will be provided.
- The Library reserves the right to substitute a proctor in the event of the original proctor’s absence.
- The Library will not be responsible for tests that are interrupted by Library emergencies, power failures, or computer hardware or software failures.
- The student will allow sufficient time to take the examination before the deadline that has been established by the institution.
- The student will be required to present a valid picture I.D. at the time of the exam.
- The use of cell phones or visiting with others is prohibited. Any perceived violation of the posted rules for the exam will be reported to the educational institution.
The responsibilities of the test taker include:
- Arrive promptly at the agreed-upon time, prepared with the items required for taking the test. These may include picture I.D., money, pens / pencils and calculator.
- Call prior to your test to make sure the test or login information has arrived. The proctor does not contact you when the exam arrives.
- Exams not taken by the date on which they were to be completed are either discarded or returned.
- Only items listed in the instructions will be allowed in the test area. You are responsible for securing personal items before the test begins.
- Provide necessary postage for mailing back the test to your school, if required.
- Read the policy thoroughly and acknowledge receipt by signing where indicated.
- Your school may have specific requirements for proctoring. Check with the proctor to make sure the library can meet all of the requirements.