Other LCPD Jobs
Detention Officer (Accepting Applications)
The League City Police Department is currently accepting applications for the position of Detention Officer. Please check back for hiring announcements. This position is responsible for the supervision of inmates, property, and booking. The position reports to the Jail Supervisor. The current schedule is 12-hour shift work (3 days on - 4 days off, 4 days on - 3 days off).
- Applicants must fill out an online application for the position. Choose the application for the appropriate employment position.
- The Jail Supervisor will review completed applications for eligibility requirements and schedule interviews accordingly.
- Applicants chosen to move forward in the hiring process must successfully complete a background investigation, polygraph examination, and drug/medical screening.
$20.41 Hourly (Starting Rate)
Example of Duties
- Provide information and directions to the public.
- Write reports pertaining to complaints received.
- Answer the telephones and take messages. Disseminate information to field officers as necessary.
- Provide meals, clothing, mattresses, blankets, and personal items to prisoners.
- Conduct searches of prisoners and cells.
- Maintain physical control of prisoners by using minimal restraint techniques.
- Accurately type all prisoner, property, medical, and court data into the Jail Management System.
- Assists with the cleaning and maintenance of the facility as needed; identifies maintenance and mechanical problems.
- Manages trustees.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- Fingerprint and photograph prisoners and citizens electronically using the AFIS machine (Automated Fingerprint Identification System) or manually using black ink.
- Collect breath/alcohol specimens from citizens suspected of driving while intoxicated
- Using an intoxilyzer instrument.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- A current Jail Certification standing is preferred.
- Able to pass all pre-employment screening such as clerical typing testing at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school completion of high school or equivalent, personal interview by department staff, background investigation, and polygraph.
- Possess or easily obtain a Texas Driver's License.
- Must be able to obtain Intoxilyzer certification in one year.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
- Some knowledge of the methods and techniques used in the control and custody of prisoners.
- Ability to act rapidly and calmly in emergencies.
- Good physical condition, strength, agility, normal vision, and hearing.
- Ability to operate office/computer equipment including typing.
- Working knowledge of business, English, and spelling.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to understand and follow moderately complex oral and written instructions.
Telecommunication Operator - Now Hiring
Thank you for your interest in becoming a League City Police Department Communications Operator. A career with the League City Police Department is both exciting and personally fulfilling. We serve the largest city in Galveston County and are experiencing tremendous growth both within our community and our department. With this growth comes the opportunity to make a real difference in people’s lives. We are looking for role models who are committed to serving their community with professionalism, respect, integrity, dedication, and excellence.
A Great Place to Work
League City Telecommunications Officers enjoy a very competitive salary and benefits package, including educational incentive pay, bilingual pay, paid vacation and paid sick leave. In addition, we have comprehensive medical, dental, and retirement plans.
$23.00 Hourly (Starting Rate)
The Selection Process
The selection process is thorough and may take several weeks. All applicants must successfully pass each of the following phases in order to qualify for a position:
- Applicants meet all City of League City eligibility requirements
- Applicants take a computer-generated exam simulating dispatch skills
- Applicants with a passing score for the test are interviewed
- A background investigation is conducted
- A Polygraph Examination is administered
- Psychological Evaluation
- A Medical Examination & Drug Testing is done
- The applicant is hired
- Probationary Employee successfully complete a field training program
- Probationary Employee must demonstrate job proficiency in order to pass a one-year probationary period
Telecommunicator Testing Information
Applicant testing for the position of communication operator will be held at the League City Public Safety Building located at:
555 W Walker Street
League City, Texas 77573
Assistant Communications Manager Rhonda Darrow is contacting all applicants on file to arrange test dates. If you have submitted an application and have not yet been contacted, you may contact Rhonda Darrow at 281-554-1837 for assistance.
The League City Police Department utilizes a computer-administered dispatch simulation testing software called CritiCall. The test generally takes approximately 2 1/2 hours to complete and applicants will be interviewed immediately if the test is passed. Applicants are assessed in multiple areas that include:
- Call summarization
- Character comparison
- Data entry
- Map reading
- Memory recall
- Reading comprehension
- Sentence clarity
Applicants with a passing score will be immediately interviewed for the position.
Applicants are required to bring a photo ID for test admission.
Click the APPLY button and choose the application for the appropriate employment position. If the position is no longer listed then applications are not being accepted.