If You Believe Your Lost Pet is at League City Animal Care:
- Call the shelter at 281-554-1377 during business hours (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 11 a.m. - 7 p.m., Saturday 11 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sunday 12 p.m. - 5 p.m. ). After hours, you may email LostPets@LeagueCityTX.gov.
- Come to the shelter in person to identify and claim your pet.
- Please bring proof of ownership (ex: photos of you with your pet, vet records, or other identifying documents) and a photo ID.
- Redemption fees may apply. Inquire with staff for fee details.
Reminder: Pets are held for 3 business days and are then released for Adoption or Transfer. If you think your pet is at League City Animal Care, please contact & visit as soon as possible! If your pet has been missing longer than 3 days, we recommend also search our Adoptable Pets page!
What to do if your pet is missing:
We understand that losing a pet can be stressful and scary! We’ve put together a few quick tips for finding a missing pet!
Look in places your pet may have accidentally gotten shut inside, such as closets, cupboards, or sheds.
Walk Around Your Neighborhood
- Use the route they’re used to and scope out any favorite spots.
- Ask your neighbors if they’ve had any sightings of your pet and if they can keep an eye out, as well as check their garages, sheds, porches, or other areas a pet could have gotten into!
- Pass out flyers & post signs in the area where your pet was lost.
- Even the most social pet can get spooked. Your own friendly pet, when lost and frightened, may hide or run from people, even those he knows!
- Chasing a lost pet will only frighten them more – often causing them to move even further from home.
- Sit on the ground at a distance, talk in normal tones, and repeat their name or familiar phrases.
Place Familiar Scents, Food, and Water Outside
- Lost pets often stick close to home and placing objects, such as familiar blankets or bedding, that smell like your pet and your family can help draw them back to your home.
- Placing food and water outside will keep them fed & hydrated until you are reunited and will help prevent them from wandering to find food or water.
Your own local community is your best resource for finding your missing pet! Most missing pets are often still close to home and reaching out to your community can increase the number of eyes on the lookout for your pet!
- Post your missing pet on your own page, asking your social network to share.
- Post in community groups such as “Talk of” groups, Neighborhood groups, and local Lost/Found Pet groups, etc.
- NextDoor has proven to be crucial in reuniting pets with their families! If you don’t already have an account, ask a neighbor to post on your behalf while you wait to be approved!
League City Animal Care is the municipal shelter for the City of League City. We scan all incoming animals for microchips and place strays on a hold for 3 business days. View all pets currently on a stray hold at League City Animal Care.
Be Sure to Check Surrounding Shelters Too
- Pets may be picked up by a well-meaning finder and driven to another community before being surrendered to a shelter in their vicinity. See a list of nearby shelters here (PDF).
Check in Person!
- Your pet may look different in photos, due to lighting or camera settings, matted fur, dirt or mud, or even due to fear. It is important to check in person frequently to be sure you don’t miss your pet!
Pets have been found weeks, months, and in extreme cases, even years later! Keep checking with the shelter and Lost & Found pages regularly!