Our volunteers are essential to our lifesaving mission. When you volunteer with LCAC, you’re giving the animals one of the greatest gifts of all — your time.
Whether you’re spending one-on-one time with the animals, helping at events and fundraisers or assisting in some other way, you’re helping the animals to feel loved. For that, everyone here at LCAC is incredibly grateful, especially the animals. We wish you an enjoyable, safe, fulfilling and rewarding volunteer experience!
To get the most out of your experience at LCAC, there are a few requirements we ask volunteers to meet.
- Submit an Online Volunteer Application, which includes signing a volunteer agreement and a Release and Waiver of Liability form.
- Complete an online general volunteer orientation session.
- Be able to work independently and meet the volunteer requirements – including the Essential Capabilities (PDF) of our volunteers.
- Complete online, hands-on, and attend all other additional training sessions as required by LCAC.
- Volunteer at least monthly.
- Treat all animals with kindness and concern for their welfare.
- Represent themselves and LCAC in a professional manner and treat clients, staff, and other volunteers with respect.
- Sign-up and volunteer for 4 Jump Start (essential shelter help) activities at the shelter prior to participating in various LCAC volunteer opportunities.
- Must complete necessary training in 3 weeks to remain active.
- All school hours will be verified after completing 4 or more Jump Start/Essential Shelter Support hours, or 2 months and 15 hours of specific department hours of volunteer service.
- Under 12 years of age: While LCAC recognizes that many bright minds in this age group have a philanthropic urge to help animals, we do not allow anyone under the age of 12 to volunteer. We encourage individuals to check out a list of other activities your youth can do at home to help us save lives! Learn more by clicking on LCAC Group Volunteer Projects (PDF).
- Age 12-15: Both youth and parent/legal guardian must each submit an individual online application, complete an online general volunteer orientation, and provide a parent waiver prior to volunteering. Youth will need to volunteer with said parent/legal guardian at all times after the above steps are complete. Volunteer activities are limited for the purpose of safety.
- Age 16-17: Both youth and parent/legal guardian must each submit an individual online application, complete an online general volunteer orientation, and provide a parent waiver prior to volunteering. Youth may volunteer without a parent/legal guardian once the above steps are completed.
We truly appreciate your hard work and commitment to helping save the lives of homeless pets. So, depending on where you decide to volunteer your time and talents, you may:
- Be able to participate in the private online communities provided for LCAC volunteers
- Receive formal and informal recognition from LCAC staff
- Be provided with opportunities to move into leadership volunteer roles as appropriate
- Receive special invitations to events and activities sponsored by LCAC
Your mileage costs and other expenses relating to your volunteer work may also be tax-deductible. Please consult with your tax professional for more information.