For Parents: Reading Lists & Shelf Help
Growing Readers: Kids
Discover books, movies, music, and more - just for kids!
Your library is a Family Place Library™ and here to support families' play, learning, and growth with special collections, welcoming spaces, programs for our littlest learners, and trained and enthusiastic staff.
From the Texas Bluebonnet Award to the Tejas Star, we've got Texas-sized reading lists for kids.
Is your child struggling to find a good book? Too busy to browse the shelves for something to read? Need a contactless library experience? The Children's Shelf is the place to be!
Discover some great reads hand-picked by our Children's Librarians: from picture books and early readers, to chapter books and fun nonfiction.
Animated picture books, read-along chapter books, and more for kids in grades K-6.
Growing Readers: Teens
Explore teen collections of fiction, nonfiction, graphic novels, and more.
Need help finding what's right for you or your reader? Check out our collection guide!
Teen Reading Lists
- Official Reading Lists: Texas Lone Star, Maverick, Spirit of Texas, Tayshas, Texas Topaz
- Realistic Fiction: Historical Romance, Novels with Sports Themes, Contemporary Romance
- Fantasy: Fairy Tale Retellings, High Fantasy, Romance, Tough Girls, Urban Fantasy
- Mystery: Detective, Do Not Read These After Dark, Ghost Stories, Supernatural
- Sci-Fi: Paranormal Romance, Post-Apocalyptic, Steampunk, Supernatural, When Tech Goes Wrong, Zombies
- Inspirational: Biographical, Christian, Self-Acceptance
- LGBTQ+: Fantasy, Paranormal, Realistic Fiction, Romance
- Easy Reads: Fast Reads for Book Reports, Gentle Reads, High-Interest, Poetry, Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers
- Unique Book Types: Short Stories/Anthologies, Epistolary, Multiple Narrators, Novels In Verse
- Graphic Novels & Manga
- Nonfiction: Cooking, Mental Health, Great Adult Nonfiction for Teens
- Read-Alikes: Recommendations for fans of Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Warriors, and more!
Do you love visiting the Library but don’t always have time to browse for a good book? Then sign up for a Teen Book Box! Available in our spring and fall semesters for ages 12-18, Teen Book Box offers monthly boxes filled with treats and a book selected just for you. For more information, visit our Teen Programs page.
Have you read through all of your favorite authors? Are you looking for something new to read? Our librarians are here to help you with personalized reading recommendations.