Residential Construction

For Residential Construction or Repairs

The homeowner or the general contractor needs to fill out a Building Permit Application (PDF) available at the City's Building Department or online. If the project requires a new water and/or sewer tap, make arrangements with the Engineering Department first to verify service availability (same location).

Please see the list of required documents below. For more detailed information on inspections procedures, please refer to the Residential Standard Operating Procedures (PDF) (S.O.P.) handout.

 New Construction Required Documentation

The homeowner, architect or general contractor is required to submit to the Building Department the documents listed below for plan review and approval, along with a Building Permit Application (PDF). Production builders should review the Master Plan Handout (PDF) for digital submittal requirements.

  • One complete set of drawings and and calculations, including architectural, structural, and windstorm, not less than one-eighth" to one foot scale, in PDF format. 
  • Foundation plans, framing plans, and windstorm design must have the seal of an engineer, registered in the State of
    Texas. Seals older than six months will not be accepted for review.
  • Energy conservation code calculations and check list, Res Check software report, envelope and mechanical.
  • Manual-J calculations and mechanical layout showing duct and register size, return air location, and mechanical unit location.
  • Electric load analysis and a service diagram.
  • Plumbing riser diagram (DWV), isometric preferred.
  • Gas riser diagram showing pipe section lengths and size, fixture requirements in BTUs, developed system length, and total system BTUs.
  • Plot plan and site survey, including a legal description. The survey must have been completed within the last 18 months and certified by a registered professional land surveyor.
  • Infill lots will require an engineered drainage plan showing slope and swales directing runoff to point of discharge to street in "A" type drainage, and street and back of property in "B" type. See Grade/Fill permit requirements and SOP for details.
  • Elevation Certificate if the property is located in a VE, AE, floodway, or shaded X flood zone.
  • Copy of Capital Recovery Fee invoice, or application for utilities connection. If utilities are not available at the site, a letter of waiver from utility connection will need to be obtained through the Public Works Department 281-554-1411. Copies of approved county permits and design for well or private sewage will have to be provided.
  • All new permit application submittals should be emailed (as one merged PDF) to Building Department. Files larger than 15MB will need to be sent with a file transfer link, such as Dropbox.

Helpful Documents