On Wednesday, February 20, City Council members, staff, and community members hit the street, literally, to celebrate Calder Road opening to two-way traffic. Instead of a ribbon, the group cut construction tape draped across the roadway, which was then followed by City Manager John Baumgartner and members of the Communications Department and Project Management Team handing out coffee, thank you notes, and cookies to residents and morning commuters traveling on the roadway. In addition, a specially designed t-shirt, generously paid for by Dannenbaum Engineering Corp., was distributed to those who stopped by.
There is a still a few weeks left of work to be completed on the project including the installation of concrete driveways, sidewalks, and concrete-lined ditches as well as the completion of sidewalks and final striping. The Calder Road Capital Improvement Project was actually FOUR separate projects in one.
Booster Pump Station – CIP # WT1205
· August 4, 2014 to June 14, 2017
· Contractor: CSA Construction, Inc.
· Scope of Project: To increase the water storage and pumping capacity of the existing booster pump station to provide for the existing water service needs and future growth of the area.
30-inch Sanitary Sewer (Phase 1) – CIP # WW1301
· June 8, 2015 through February 15, 2016
· Contractor: Reddico Construction Company
· Scope of Project: To convey the increased sewer flows from the Bay Colony Development Area to the Butler Road Lift Station. The increased development in the Victory Lakes, Bay Colony Development, and the Pinnacle Park area will result in sewer flows exceeding the capacity of the existing 21-inch sanitary sewer.
· Approximately 2,250 LF of 30” sanitary sewer installed
30-inch Sanitary Sewer (Phase 2) – CIP # WW1301
· September 21, 2015 through April 5, 2017
· Contractor: S.J. Louis Construction of Texas
· Scope of Project: To convey the increased sewer flows from the Bay Colony Development Area to the Butler Road Lift Station. The increased development in the Victory Lakes, Bay Colony Development and the Pinnacle Park area will result in sewer flows exceeding the capacity of the existing 21-inch sanitary sewer.
· Approximately 5,700 LF of 30” sanitary sewer installed
Road Reconstruction (Ervin St to Turner Rd) – CIP # ST1002
· January 16, 2017 through present
· Contractor: Texas Sterling Construction Company
· Scope of Project: To convert Calder Road, between Ervin St and Turner Rd, from an open-ditch rural roadway to a concrete, curb-and-gutter, urban roadway with storm sewers.
· Approximately 1.621 miles of road reconstruction
· In addition, franchise utilities (including TNMP, CenterPoint, Frontier, Comcast, and AT&T) were rebuilt by separate contractors.