On Monday, March 23, the Galveston County Health District (GCHD) announced five additional positive COVID-19 cases in Galveston County residents. This brings the county’s case total to 17.
The cases are:
- A male in his 20s with recent international travel. He is self-quarantined
- A male in his 50s with recent domestic travel. He is self-quarantined.
- A male in his 40s with recent domestic travel He is self-quarantined.
- A male in his 20s with recent international travel. He is self-quarantined.
- A male in his 60s with recent domestic travel. He is self-quarantined.
For confidentiality purposes, the health district is not releasing additional identifying information. GCHD is conducting epidemiological investigations and is working to quickly identify close contacts for all cases. The health district does not comment on case specifics, including the person’s city of residence or what businesses they may have visited.
The GCHD recommends the following hygiene practices:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash. If tissues are not available, cough and sneeze in your elbow. Do not cough and sneeze in your hands.
- Frequently clean and disinfect objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
The GCHD also recommends the following social distancing practices:
- Avoid all gatherings of 10 or more people.
- Maintain at least 6 feet separation from others.
- Limit contact with people outside of your household. Avoid social visits.
- Limit visits and keep your distance from older relatives, especially those who are at a higher risk for developing serious COVID-19 illness.
- Avoid unnecessary travel.
For more information on COVID-19, visit www.gchd.org/coronavirus.
If you have questions about COVID-19, please call the GCHD information call center at 409.938.7221, option 1.