The National Hurricane Center upgraded Laura to a hurricane Tuesday morning, with maximum sustained winds of 75 mph. Where the storm lands is yet to be seen, but the latest forecast from the National Hurricane Center shows a westward shift in the storm’s track that includes more of the Texas coastline. Laura is currently in the Gulf of Mexico and should rapidly intensify in the next 36 hours. The latest track has her making landfall as a category three hurricane Wednesday night,
The storm is NOT expected to be a major rain event like Hurricane Harvey but it will likely produce storm surge in our area along Galveston Bay, which will also will impact Clear Creek. There is also the possibility of flash flooding and street flooding. High winds could cause power outages. Texas Governor Greg Abbott has issued a state disaster declaration for several coastal counties, including Galveston and Harris County. Galveston County Judge Mark Henry has signed a Disaster Declaration in response to possible impacts from Laura.
Today is the last day to prepare for this storm and the City of League City is encouraging all residents to:
- Fill your gas tanks.
- Sign up to receive League City emergency alerts at leaguecity.com/swiftreach or text "Swift911" to 99538
- Stock your emergency kits.
- Ensure you have a 3 to 5-day supply of food and water.
- Have enough medications and refills to last you throughout the week and weekend.
- Put all important documents together in a waterproof container.
- Secure loose outdoor items such as lawn furniture and other objects.
- Remove yard debris and dead branches from trees, especially near overhead power lines. DO NOT PLACE ON THE CURB FOR HEAVY TRASH. Instead, store inside your garage or other safe area.
If you rely on electricity for medical devices and would be in danger if the power was out for several days, consider a voluntary evacuation. The danger from Hurricane Laura will be storm surge, winds, and the possibility of power outages
Please be sure to monitor Tropical Storm Laura by checking for updates at these reliable sources.