Prolonged power outages from heavy winds are possible as Hurricane Laura makes landfall, especially in older areas of League City with large trees and power lines that are above the ground. Here are some tips from Texas New Mexico Power, which provides electricity to the majority of residents and businesses in League City.
- NEVER call 911 to report a power outage. Instead, put the TNMP number in a convenient location so you can easily access it 888-866-7456
- Select 1 to report power outages or to receive an update on current outages.
- To view a current power outage map visit: https://www.tnmp.com/customers/power-outages-hazards/power-outage-map
- Have a power outage plan to go with your hurricane plans. Your plan should include:
- Checking flashlights or electric lanterns in advance.
- Ensuring you have fresh batteries for flashlights and hand-held radios.
- Charging phones, tablets, rechargeable lanterns, hand-held video games, etc., in advance.
- Stocking up on bottled water and non-perishable food /snacks in advance – so you can keep your refrigerator closed.
- Confirming your backup plans if anyone in your home depends on powered medical equipment.
Downed Power Lines
- Teach everyone in your home to stay far away from any downed power lines and equipment.
- Assume that every line is energized and deadly, even if power is out in the area.
- Call 911 if there’s an immediate threat to public safety, then call TNMP at 888-866-7456.
- Know in advance how to turn off your breaker box main if there’s a possibility of flood waters entering your home or business.
- For your safety, turn off the breaker box main if water enters the premises.