Did you know a small fire that spreads to a Christmas tree can grow large very quickly? Following these safety tips could help keep you and your family safe during the holiday season.
- If putting up a live tree this year, choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit (a good reminder for fake and live trees)
- Add water to the tree stand daily
- Always unplug Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to sleep.
- Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Remember, some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
To learn more about Christmas Tree Safety, please visit: National Fire Protection Agency - Christmas Tree Safety
To see the importance of why you should water your Christmas tree, please view this video from the National Institute of Standards and Technology: