Hurricane Season is Underway, It's Time to Get Prepared
The Atlantic hurricane season is officially underway and runs from June 1 to November 30. The most active months for Texas are August and September, but hurricanes and tropical storms have impacted the Texas coast in every month of hurricane season. This means residents need to plan and prepare now.
League City’s biggest risk during hurricane season is flooding. This area is susceptible to riverine and coastal flooding, as well as flooding from low lying areas. These conditions have caused widespread flooding in the past, as we experienced with Hurricane Harvey.
Here are some important tips on how to plan ahead of the storm:
Make an Emergency Plan
Learn more about emergency planning at ready.gov/plan
- Write down your hurricane plan and share it with your family.
- Make a plan for how you will get in touch with loved ones before, during, and after a storm.
- Take photos of important documents and store them in a secure place in the event you need to make an insurance claim.
- Download the Galveston County Disaster Guide here.
Know Your Evacuation Zone
Learn more about evacuation planning at https://www.h-gac.com/hurricane-evacuation-planning
- Learn your evacuation zone, route, and have an alternate location to stay. Scroll down to examine the maps and learn your evacuation zone and routes.
- Include pets when planning to evacuate. Ensure pets are up to date on vaccinations in the event they need to be boarded at an out-of-town facility.
- Practice your plan.
Check Your Insurance Coverage
Learn more about flood insurance coverage at https://www.fema.gov/national-flood-insurance-program
- Hurricanes bring heavy rains that may cause flooding. Purchase flood insurance early in the season. Remember, there is usually a 30-day waiting period before a flood insurance policy takes effect.
- Are you covered for hurricane dangers such as high winds and damage? Check your insurance policy ASAP.
Sign up to receive emergency alerts at leaguecity.com/alerts
- In case of extreme weather, an extended utility outage, street closure, or other issue of public concern, League City’s notification system will provide important information in a timely and accurate fashion. This system allows us to call, text, or email all or targeted areas of the City in case of an emergency situation that requires immediate action.
For more hurricane season preparedness tips and information, visit www.readylc.com