Budget Workshops Begin Monday July 17
Public Invited to Attend Workshops at Civic Center
After months of preparation and meetings between department heads and executive staff members, the proposed Fiscal Year 2024 Budget will soon be presented to City Council for review and discussion. This will happen during a series of workshops that will kick off on Monday, July 17. During the workshops, City Council may revise, alter, increase, or decrease the items of the budget. City Council’s changes are included in the budget ordinance for approval in late August with a second reading in early September.
All workshops are open to the public and will be held at the Johnnie Arolfo Civic Center at 6 p.m. The workshops include time designated on each agenda for public comment. See the dates below to learn when specific budget and CIP items will be discussed.
FY 2024 Budget Schedule
- July 17: CIP Capital Projects and Overview of FY2024 Proposed Budget
- July 24: Council Budget Work Session: Utilities, Engineering, Streets, Planning, Building, Neighborhood Services, Economic Development, Project Management, Information Technology & Facilities
- July 31: Council Budget Work Session: Administration, Public Safety, Parks & Library, Communications, Finance, Budget & Human Resources
- Aug. 1: Council Budget Work Session: Outstanding items and wrap-up
Budget Ordinance Adoptions
- Aug. 8: Public Hearing on FY 2024 Budget
- Aug. 22: Public Hearing on FY2024 Budget; First reading on FY 2024 Budget Ordinance
- Sept. 12: Second & Final reading of FY 2024 Budget Ordinance
- Sept. 20: Deadline to adopt FY 2024 Budget per City Charter
Members of the public are encouraged to participate in the budget process and can get involved in several ways:
- Review the proposed budget document either through the City’s website here or in person at the Helen Hall Library.
- Budget or CIP questions can be submitted to the Assistant City Manager – CFO, Angie Steelman, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 281-338-4186.
- Attend a Council workshop (see the schedule of dates and agenda below).
- Attend a public hearing on the Budget (proposed for Aug. 8 and 22) and sign up before the meeting to speak during the public hearing time.
- Attend any Council meeting and sign up before the meeting to speak during the Citizen Comments time.
- Visit https://leaguecitylistens.com/budget where you can share a comment or take a survey related to the budget and what you’d like to see prioritized.
Learn about how your tax dollars are spent by checking out the Budget Bytes brochure. You can also pick up a printed copy at City Hall, the Helen Hall Library, the Hometown Heroes Recreation Center, and other city facilities.